Sunday, January 22, 2006

Praying for your neighbors

Yesterday morning I awoke to a strange sound. It was 5am. Lights were flashing. Upon looking out the window I saw a fire truck and two ambulances across the street at my neighbors house. What to do? I could have decided to cuddle under my warm cozy down comforter and fall asleep (which was very tempting.) However, my thought was flooded with warm, loving thoughts for this family. One ambulance left with someone laying in the back. Even though I’ve never met those neighbors, I knew that they were still God’s beloved children. I had an obligation to clear my thoughts about this situation. The initial thoughts that came were “Oh, poor family. I hope everyone is ok.” But then God’s thoughts entered and let me know that our Father/Mother God is always in control. Since we are created in God’s image, we naturally reflect each and ever one of Gods qualities. The people in that house and in that ambulance naturally express completeness, peace, joy, confidence, freedom. Why would I even think for a moment to look at them in pitty. It is my duty to see everyone the way God sees them. The Bible tells us “Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” Jesus healed by seeing people the way God does – spiritual, complete, whole, not limited or material. Jesus beheld their true identity. After listening for those God-like thoughts and praying to see my neighbors correctly I felt completely at peace knowing that their only choice is to be at one with God, expressing His qualities.
As we practice turning our thoughts away from the seeming material picture, to the Truth of being, our experience will change. We stop looking at things from a limited perspective and see things from the unlimited eternal way they truly are. Those around us can feel the difference and we change the world one day at a time.

No comments: